I love Keto recipes that include peppers – like the keto philly cheese steak sloppy joes that were a super big hit in my house. So when I found this Keto Pizza Stuffed Peppers, I knew they’d be a big hit as well.
- 1 pound Italian sausage or turkey Italian sausage (you could also use links and remove them from the casing)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 T garlic minced
- 14 oz. jar pizza sauce
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 large red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and remove stem and seeds
- 4 oz. pepperoni
- 2 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Lightly spray a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish or large baking sheet with olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, breaking sausage apart with a spatula as it cooks. Cook until sausage is nicely browned.
- While the sausage cooks, cut 10 pepperoni slices in half and the remaining pepperoni into fourths.
- Cut peppers in half and removing the seeds and the stem end.
- When sausage is nicely browned, push it to the side and add the onions and garlic. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dried oregano and sauce into the sausage mixture, turn heat to low, and simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Turn off heat, let the mixture cool slightly, then add the chopped pepperoni and 2 cups grated Mozzarella, stirring gently so it’s well-mixed with the sausage mixture.
- Fill each pepper with the pizza mixture. I found it’s easiest to hold the pepper in your hand over the pan while you fill and then add it to the baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and add grated cheese and four pepperoni halves to the top of each pepper. Place back in the oven and bake 25 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely browned, peppers are cooked.
- Serve hot and enjoy!