So a few weeks ago I was searching Pinterest for a recipe to make to use up the hamburger I had in the fridge. There is only so many tacos, burgers, meatloaf and chili you can eat.
I came across this awesome recipe for Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes from Dinner then Dessert. I made them for my family, and everyone loved them, even my picky son! If you want the original recipe head on over here But if you are like me, you need a more low carb, Keto friendly version, which I put together tonight; and it’s just as delicious as it’s original counterpart.
What you’ll need:
cast iron skillet – it really is great to get the meat seared
a good cutting knife for the veggies
1 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 small yellow onion – diced
1 green pepper – diced
8 oz of mushrooms diced or minced to your desire
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp pink hemalain salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 to 1 cup beef
8 oz provolone cheese (I like to shred mine)
keto friendly mayo (my favorite brand is Primal Kitchen , avocado oil mayo)
- Put your ground beef into your cast iron skillet – brown until there is a deep brown crust
- Remove the beef from the skillet, leave the fat, and add the butter, onions, green pepper and mushrooms
- Sautee the vegetables for 1-2 minutes and then stir, allowing to sautee for another few minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pan and put the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper into the pan and mix
- Cook until the mixture is bubbly
- Add the provolone cheese and stir
- Put in bowl or plate and enjoy! I Like to add my mayo and mix it in for more flavor!