As I mentioned a few weeks go the family & I had the opportunity to visit Corydon Indiana and explore all that it has to offer. I already told you the great places to eat and where to stay. Now I want to share with you all the great things you can do during your stay.
1 Indiana Caverns – I listed Indiana Caverns first because I absolutely had a blast during our day there. From the first step onto the property, the beauty and design was absolutely breathtaking (I’m sure it didn’t hurt that it was a beautiful day). When you explore the caverns you descend 110 feet underground, walking around and exploring the deep dark crevices of the caverns. The tour guides are AWESOME and knowledgeable; you get a Science & History lesson without even knowing it.You also get to take a 25 minute boat ride on the underground river. They are open year round, 9 – 5, 7 days a week. Typically you won’t wait over 30 minutes to start a tour, and tours last about an hour and a half.
They have the most awesome gift shop (just ask my kids!) and even their own gem mining area (which was also completely awesome). You buy a bag of ‘goodies’ in the gift shop, and you can sift for gold and other gems This is definitely a place you do NOT want to miss during your trip!
Digging for treasures! #ThisIsIndiana #treasure #caves #IndianaCaves #AIADWTravel A video posted by krissy rouse-higgins (@krissyar) on
2. Golf Shores Fun Center – no matter the season, Golf Shores has some putt-putt golfing fun for your family. They have an awesome outdoor (lighted for night time) golf course and a black-light mini golf course inside for the not so great weather (or if you just love the black lights). They also have a video arcade, snack bar, and coffee shop (you know, so we can keep up with the kids) and free Wi-Fi (another score for Mom & Dad!)
#ThisIsIndiana #puttputt #golf #blacklight #AIADWTravel A photo posted by krissy rouse-higgins (@krissyar) on
3. Marengo Caves – Marengo caves has a lot to offer. From walking tours, cave exploration trips to gemstone mining, and canoeing adventures on the nearby Blue River there is something for everyone. If you are up for more of an adventure you can stay at their camp, or even rent a cabin. I can’t wait to take a weekend and camp and going canoeing this coming spring. Definitely keep your eye out for more photos and post about Marengo Caves (follow the #AIADWTravels hashtag!)
4. Squire Boones Caverns Ziplining Adventures – Squire Boone and his brother, Daniel, discovered the Squire Boone caverns in 1790. Squire later escaped a band of hostile Indians by hiding in the caverns. Upon his death in 1815, Squire Boone was laid to rest within his beloved cave, as he had requested (which we got to see, an awesome piece of history). They have cavern tours, Boone’s Mill, a village full of stores, a rock shop, and one of the most awesome ziplining adventures EVER. Not only do they offer zip lining for the adults, but kids as well. (My son FREAKED, he had SO much fun!!!!)
#SquireBoone #ziplining #ThisIsIndiana #AIADWTravel A video posted by krissy rouse-higgins (@krissyar) on
Our zip line leaders were great, a lot of fun and very encouraging (even when the girls were a bit nervous at first). They were all pretty pumped by the end and even wanted to do it again! Squire Boone is a beautiful park, and I wish we would of had a bit more time to explore. I think next time around we will make a trip down and make sure to spend an entire day exploring (and zipping) throughout the entire place!
5. Deere Farms – Deere Farms has Southern Indiana’s largest corn maze (a family friendly, and a full blown I hope-you-aren’t-direction-illiterate-like-I-am maze) and pumpkin patch. They have TONS of fun stuff to keep you busy in addition to the corn maze and pumpkin patch They offer hayrides, a antique John Deere Tractor display, pony rides, farm animal tour & pig races, gem mining, bounce house, tire mountain, straw bale maze, an enclosed downhill slide, corn box, corn cannon (which my boys loved), barrel train rides, corn hole games and a bungee jump. They also offer a concessions with lots of great food, including apple cider slushes and pumpkin ice cream! Definitely another place you could spend an entire day at!
#DeereFarms #cornmaze #farm #ThisIsIndiana #AIADWTravel
A photo posted by krissy rouse-higgins (@krissyar) on
6. State Historic Sites – There is a ton of history here, all which are at your finger tips when you visit Corydon. The old Capitol Building, Governor’s Headquarters, Porter Law Offices, First State Office Building and Indiana’s only civil war battleground, Battle of Corydon.
7. Fall Down on the Square – 1 weekend a year (and yes we were lucky enough to be there). First Capital Christian Church host a family event free to everyone. The church provides games, food, carriage rides, candy, and some awesome music. I absolutely loved the small town feel of this event, and the kids had a blast. This is something I will be keeping my eye out for so we don’t miss it next year!
8. Shopping Downtown – As I mentioned before Corydon is the home of the great Butt Drugs, who not only offers some yummy food, but some t-shirts as well to commemorate your visit. They also have the Old Town Store which is 4,000 square feet of awesome antiques. You also have to check out Lil Rap, Town Square Gallery, Little Texas Consignment & Western Shop, and Collections of the Home Place.
There are tons more to do, and I really just touched the surface of the great things there are to do in this great little town!
Be sure to check out the #ThisIsIndiana hashtag on Instagram & Twitter to see some great photos from myself and other bloggers!
I want to go!!!! I used to live in Michigan and never did any of this, doggone it! The caverns and caves are a must-see!
That sounds like a great place to take the family for a vacation! There is so much to do there.
This looks like so much fun! Lots to do for families. Seems like a great trip spot!
everything looks like so much fun. i love finding great family friendly spots
I have never been to Indiana. The landscape is beautiful with the cornfields and such. I would def go to the downtown area.
I have visited Indiana several times, but never seen any of this. Definitely adding these to my list for next time we’re up there.
I want to check out the Indiana Caverns! The ziplining looks fun too! We might go do something like that on our anniversary in November!
That really looks like a lot of fun. It has been ages since I have been to caverns.
This looks like a great place to visit. The underground boat ride and caverns sound really fun.
I’ve lived in Indiana most of my life and haven’t experienced Corydon. I never realized there was so much to do. Looks like I need to add a trip to my list of things to do soon!
Looks like another place I need to add to my travel list. The Indiana Caverns look like a lot of fun.
This looks like a wonderful place to visit. Sadly, I have never gotten the chance to visit Indiana.
These all sound like great ideas. I love a family adventure!
This looks like a great place to go on a family adventure. If i am ever in Corydon Indiana i will have to check these places out.
The Indiana Caverns would be right up my alley. My kiddos would love to dig for treasure!
You know what? Indiana is one of those states I’ve never visited. Never really had an opportunity to. I do want to visit though. Looks like there is a lot to do there.
Wow seems like a really great place! I need to add it to my bucket list:)
We have a mini golf center that is similar, but I’ve never been. It looks like so much fun!
thanks for bringing this place to the forefront of my mind. I had no idea it existed. Oh how I have been missing out
I’ve visited Indiana before. What beautiful places, including the caverns!
Corydon Indiana looks and sounds like a great place! I’ll have to take a trio there sometime!
Next time I am in the area I will have to stop – I used to travel a lot to Louisville for business – not far from Corydon.
I bet my little one would like to dig for treasure!! We’ve been to a few caverns and we always have a nice time when we go.
The caverns and the caves look so interesting. I’ve never been there but now I know where to go if I travel to that neck of the woods in Indiana.
Believe it or not I’ve been there. It is such a beautiful area. We go to Louisville and stop through there.
I have never been there but this is worth going to! I want to go to the Deere farms.
I want to go. I would love to check out the caves! Looks like a beautiful area.
Wow, that looks like such a fun place to visit! Thanks for the tips!
Corydon, Indiana looks like such a fun place! I would love to visit the caverns and Deere Farms.
Looks like a blast! Looks like the whole family had fun!
My family and I love exploring caverns, they are so mysterious and cool! Looks like a fun place to visit, lots to do!
Looks like a lot of fun. I haven’t visited Indiana but it looks like I need to visit Corydon for sure.
This is my home! Thanks for the awesome write up. Y’all are welcome here any time…laid back times await you. We’re close to Louisville…so much to see and do here. As we always say, Try Corydon First!