If you are a Star Wars fan like me, you are super excited about the upcoming movie, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – so in honor of all things Star Wars, for Halloween this year, we are making Princess Leia cupcakes that are almost too cute to eat!
These are great for any parties that you might be going to – (they are always a hit) and – bonus – they taste amazing too!
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of your favorite vanilla frosting
- 3/4 cups marshmallow fondant or white modeling chocolate
- Gold sprinkles
- Brown GEL food coloring
- Black writing icing
- Red writing icing
- 24 OREO cookies
- Wax paper (just to set your marshmallow fondant on)
- Round decorating tip and bag
- Small round cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients (including butter) in a second medium sized bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in ⅓ increments, mixing thoroughly between each increment.
- Spoon into lined cupcake pan.
- Bake for 30-minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before decorating.
- Work 5-10 drops of brown GEL food coloring into marshmallow fondant.
- Roll the beige marshmallow fondant out flat with a rolling pin or your hands.
- Using your round cookie cutter, cut 12 small circles to make Leia faces.
- Place Leia faces into refrigerator until you’re ready for them.
- With your largest decorating tip, press into the top of the cupcake off-center, creating a well. Save hole tops.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the gold sprinkles inside the well in the cupcake.
- Replace hole top on each cupcake.
- Place round tip in piping bag.
- Fill the piping bag with the white frosting.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl, turning the piping bag as you pipe, leaving a flat place on top.
- Place a Leia face on the top of each cupcake.
- Place an OREO cookie on each side of each cupcake.
- Using the black writing icing, fill in the spaces between the OREO cookies and the Leia face, add a single drop for eyes on the Leia faces, fill-in the spaces between cookie halves where you can see the cream and draw in hair on top of the Leia faces.
- Using the red writing icing, make little lips on each Leia face.