Disclosure: I received the following monitor at no cost to me for review purposes. Opinions here are my own.
When I first became a Mom, video monitors were just coming out on the market and to be honest, they were “tre expensiva” (VERY EXPENSIVE!) they were in black and white, and didn’t have many options. As a single Mom I settled for a basic monitor in which I used only a handful of times. Mostly because I was so nervous about my daughter being out of sight, so nervous in fact, that she slept in my bedroom (in her bassinet) until she was too big. Then I moved her into the playpen and then and only then when she was too big for that did she make her way into her own room. I am pretty sure I was up every hour checking on her, making sure she was breathing O.K, and that she wasn’t tangled in her blanket or God forbid something worse.
Not until my 3rd child did I start seriously looking into baby video monitoring systems. When I was doing my research I came across the Vtech safe & sound pan & tilt full color video monitor.Can I just say I was super impressed?
With a husband, and 2 other children, I don’t have the option to be by his side 24/7. Life is busy – we have homework, and bake sale items to bake, not to mention dinner to prepare, laundry to do, and sometimes we just need to relax. I needed something besides just a basic ‘noise’ monitor to keep an eye on my son. A video monitor was more than just a preference – it became a necessity.
WHAT I LIKE:
- Works on a rechargeable battery
- 2.8 Color LCD Screen to allow you to actually see the baby.
- Great clear picture during the day. Night vision is okay.
- Talk-back – Allows you to talk to your baby or toddler through the nursery camera.
- Pan/Tilt – Scans 270 degrees around the room and 124 degrees up and down to really see all the action
- 2x Zoom – This is standard on baby monitors.
- Good handheld size about the size of a bulky iPhone
- Temperature Sensor and alarm to monitor temperature of the nursery.
- Great range! VTech advertises a 1000 ft range- all we know is that we never lose the signal in our large home.
- Monitors up to 4 cameras at a time. (Only one camera comes with the monitor – the others would be purchased separately.)
- Volume for the talk back feature.
- Temperature sensor to monitor the temp in the room.
- Looks sleek and modern.
- Comes with a wall mount feature.
- Has rubber feet to keep it from sliding.
WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED:
- The nursery camera has to be plugged in to work. I would love to see a rechargeable battery included for those times when an outlet isn’t convenient for where the parent would like to place the camera.
- While the night vision works and you can see the baby, it could always be better.
Overall, I think the VTech Safe and Sound monitor is a great option for a baby video monitor. It retails for $179.95, which is very reasonable for a monitor with all these features. You can purchase the monitor with 2 camera’s for approximately $259.90