You want your baby’s nursery to be special, a space that reflects their unique personality even before they develop one. Why settle for generic store-bought wallpaper when you can design custom wallpaper to give the room a personal touch? Creating DIY custom wallpaper for the nursery is easier than ever and allows you to incorporate designs featuring your baby’s name, favorite animals, or one-of-a-kind illustrations. The options are endless when you tap into your creativity. Follow these tips to make over the nursery walls with custom wallpaper and give your little one a space they’ll love as much as you do.
Choose a Theme Based on Your Baby’s Interests
Choosing a theme for your baby’s nursery wallpaper based on their interests will make the space extra special. Think about your little one’s favorite animals, colors, books, or toys to come up with inspiration for a custom design.
• Animals: If your baby loves elephants, lions or penguins, have wallpaper printed with cute cartoon versions of their favorite animals. You can even include their name or initials on the design. This is a great option for either gender and will spark their imagination as they grow.
• Colors: A color theme is simple but sweet. Pick two or three colors your baby seems to prefer and have wallpaper printed with stripes, dots, or other patterns in those shades. As an added touch, choose a wallpaper border in a contrasting color to frame the top of the walls.
• Books: Bring their favorite storybook characters to life on the walls. Have wallpaper printed with illustrations from books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See or any other childhood classics. This whimsical option will inspire a lifetime love of reading.
• Toys: If your baby has a favorite toy like blocks, stuffed animals or a play gym, have wallpaper printed with a pattern inspired by their beloved plaything. Not only will it tie in with the decor you already have in the nursery, but it will give them familiarity and comfort in their space.
With custom wallpaper featuring a theme your little one loves, their nursery will become a place they feel happy, stimulated and secure. And the memories you make in that special space will last forever.
Add Your Baby’s Name or Monogram for a Personalized Look
Adding your baby’s name or monogram to the nursery wallpaper is a personal touch that will make the space uniquely theirs. Custom wallpaper designs with names or initials are popular and meaningful, especially in a baby’s first room.
To create custom name wallpaper, you have a few options. You can design your own using wallpaper or mural software and have it printed, or work with an Etsy seller who specializes in custom nursery wallpaper. Provide the baby’s full name, initials, or a favorite nickname and choose a font, color scheme, and pattern that matches your nursery theme. For a rustic look, opt for a distressed font. For a whimsical nursery, pick a fanciful script.
Another idea is to incorporate the name within a mural, such as painting it on the wall or having wall stickers made to spell out the name. You can also do a DIY stencil and paint the name yourself. Whatever method you choose, be sure to measure the wall space first so you get the size and placement just right.
Adding wallpaper, a mural or stenciled name to the nursery is a project you’ll appreciate for years to come. Not only will it give the room a custom, handcrafted feel, but it will create special memories of this exciting time preparing for the baby. Your little one will also surely love gazing up at their name on the wall as they drift off to sleep in their cozy new room.
Feature Your Baby’s Favorite Animals or Toys
What does your little one love? Incorporating their favorite animals, toys or characters into custom wallpaper is a great way to personalize their space.
• Search online for illustrations or clip art of things like teddy bears, bunnies, elephants or toy cars and trucks. Many are available for free or you can commission an artist on Etsy to create custom designs for you.
• Have the images printed on peel-and-stick wallpaper or traditional wallpaper. Peel-and-stick is very DIY-friendly but traditional wallpaper may last longer.
• For a cute motif, arrange multiple images of the same animal or toy in a pattern. Or, create a whole scene with different characters and objects for a whimsical, storybook feel.
• Include your baby’s name or initials in the design. For example, have their name spelled out in wooden blocks or Scrabble tiles held by the characters.
• Don’t forget to consider the scale of the images in relation to the size of the wall. Large-scale designs can make a big impact but may be too stimulating for a small space. Aim for a good balance of empty space and images.
Custom wallpaper featuring your baby’s beloved animals, toys or other familiar images is a special, memorable touch that they are sure to enjoy for years to come. As they grow, the wallpaper may inspire imaginative stories and play. And for you, it will bring back fond memories of this precious time.
When your little one transitions to a “big kid” room, you can incorporate their latest interests into new custom wallpaper. Or, you may find it hard to part with the original and want to find a way to preserve a section of it. Custom wallpaper in the nursery is a design choice you’ll never regret.
Custom wallpaper is a simple DIY project that allows you to put your personal stamp on the space and surround your baby with designs that are meaningful to your family. Whether you choose to design something from scratch, modify a pre-made pattern, or collaborate with an artist, custom nursery wallpaper is a creative way to welcome your bundle of joy into the world and give them a space that is uniquely theirs. The effort you put into crafting a custom look for the nursery will make the space extra special for years to come.