makes approx. 12 Muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, white whole wheat flour or spelt flour (or use 2 cups of King Arthur Multi-purpose Gluten-free Flour + 1 teaspoon xanthan gum)
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
1 large egg
¾ cup pure maple syrup (Grade A or Grade B)
¾ cup dairy or non-dairy milk (almond or coconut milk)
¼ cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 5- or 6-ounce bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with unbleached parchment liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a blender add egg, maple syrup, milk, oil, vanilla and spinach. Process until pureed.
- Add spinach mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the mashed banana.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin, filling cups about ¾ full. I like to do this with a large ice cream scoop. Bake about 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature up to 3 days. These freeze nicely!