It’s been awhile since I spent any long period of time away from home on a vacation, or trip away. However, when I do manage to get some time away my work out and diet seems to go out the window! It is never fun to try and get back the healthy habits or loss the weight gained on such trips. So here are some tips I found from Dr. Wayne Andersen:
- Before you pack, be sure to ask the hotel if they have a gym or pool and bring appropriate clothes to get some exercise. (No excuses!)
- Bring healthy snacks for the road / plane. Items like a Medifast Crunch Bars are great options because they’re satisfying, portable and contain less sodium and calories than airplane snacks or fast food options.
- Drink lots of water. Any sort of traveling is taxing on the body and you’ll want to keep hydrated.
- Remember that alcohol will let down your defenses and is full of empty calories and carbs! It is best to choose club soda or a diet drink with your meals.
- Make healthy choices. Some days you may have to have both lunch and dinner out, so make the best of it and choose wisely.
- Don’t worry about losing weight; sometimes the stress of traveling will slow your weight loss. The main objective is not to gain weight!
- Remember to bring your journal to jot down both memories from the trip as well as what you ate to help you keep track of calories.
- Last but not least – Have A Great Time!
What are some of your tips to stay on track while your out of your element???
Dr. Wayne Andersen is the Medical Director for Take Shape for Life Wellness program. He is board certified in internal medicine and specializes in weight management. Dr. Andersen graduated from University of Florida. Involved with Johns Hopkins in collaborating studies to show the efficacy of meal replacements, Dr. Andersen’s goal is to provide simple, convenient means for people to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. As the chief architect of Take Shape for Life, Dr. Andersen has built an integrated support system that helps people make the necessary changes in their lifestyles to create optimal health.