As I mentioned the one thing I have missed during our Keto journey is my takeout. For the most part I can order things with a Keto twist, like burgers without buns, wings (with bones) even pizza without the crust. But one food that I miss that has failed to come to the Keto-side is Asian food. So we’ve had to make our own Keto twist to some of our favorites, like our recipe last week for Keto Beef and Broccoli, and this weeks Keto Bang Bang Cauliflower!
Now you can sub the Cauliflower in this recipe for shrimp, or chicken if you prefer, but I do know quite a few Keto followers who prefer to go meatless when possible. The key is just to make sure the ‘breading’ and the sauce is Keto friendly, which is what this recipe does.
- About ½ of a large head of cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Bang Bang Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp granular erythritol
- 1 tsp lime juice
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with heavy cream. Set aside.
- In a medium size baking bowl whisk together almond flour and cheese. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip cauliflower in the egg wash. I put a few pieces in at a time and used a spoon to coat the cauliflower. After it is fully coated, shake it a few times, to shake off any excess egg dripping back into the bowl before adding it to the breading. You don’t want the egg dripping going into the breading since the moisture will cause the breading to clump and it will be harder to stick to the cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower piece into the bowl of breadcrumbs, use your fingers to apply a little pressure so the breading sticks to the cauliflower.
- Once coated, set the cauliflower onto a clean baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
- To deep fry the cauliflower, pour cooking oil into a pot. When the oil reaches 350F, gently add a few pieces of breaded cauliflower, stir the cauliflower a few times to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until a deep golden brown. Remove cauliflower and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
To make the Bang Bang sauce
- Add all sauce ingredients into a small bowl, whisking until smooth. Taste and adjust as needed. If you prefer less spicy you can use less sriracha.
- Drizzle Keto Bang Bang sauce over cauliflower. I have found it’s better to drizzle the sauce over the cauliflower to prevent the breading from getting soft from the sauce.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.