If you are looking for a fun patriotic treat for this weekend, check out these yummy firecracker rice krispies!
This recipe will yield 6 large Firecracker Rice Krispies bars from a 9×9 pan:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
Two 10 oz. bags of marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
3/4 cup Wilton Royal blue chocolate melts
1/2 cup Wilton red chocolate melts
6 jumbo marshmallows
1 black licorice wheel
Betty Crocker white cake frosting can with star tip (tip comes with it)
Red white and blue star sprinkles
DIRECTIONS TO MAKE RICE KRISPIES
1. Spray a 9×9 pan with a non-stick coating spray and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the butter, stirring constantly until melted.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt (optional) until well-coated.
5. Transfer the cereal mixture to prepared pan and press down firmly.
6. Cool for 30 minutes and cut into 6 large bars.
HOW TO DECORATE FIRECRACKER RICE KRISPIES
1. Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper and set aside.
2. In a double boiler pan, heat the blue chocolate candies until melted, stirring occasionally.
3. Dip the bottom of each Rice Krispies bar into the melted chocolate. Set on first cookie sheet to harden.
4. Microwave the red chocolate melts in a microwave safe bowl for 45 seconds. Stir until melted. (Depending on your microwave, you may have to heat in additional 8 second increments until melted).
5. Roll each jumbo marshmallow in the melted red chocolate, covering each one entirely. Place on the second cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes to speed the hardening process. Set aside the remaining melted red chocolate for later.
6. Cut 6 two inch pieces from the black licorice wheel.
7. After 10 minutes, remove the marshmallows from the refrigerator and take an ice pick or mini meat thermometer and poke a hole into the top of each marshmallow.
8. Insert a 2 inch licorice strip into each firecracker to resemble the fuse.
9. Reheat the leftover red chocolate in the microwave. Dip the bottom of each marshmallow into the melted red chocolate and place on top of each Rice Krispies bar, squared in the middle.
10. Using a star tip, pipe the vanilla cake icing on all 4 corners of each Rice Krispies bar.
11. Sprinkle the star sprinkles on top of each icing star.