I made this Death by Chocolate Trifle recipe for Thanksgiving, and it was such a big hit, I think I’m going to make it again for Christmas! It’s a bit lighter of dessert, not so dense of a feeling after you eat which makes it even more enjoyable after a day filled with eating!
This is super easy to make, and seriously delicious. I actually think I might get another trifle bowl so I can make a double batch next time. Feel free to change up the chocolate cake for brownies (for a richer dessert) or angel food cake. Some people also like to use chocolate pudding instead of mousse, or different types of candy bars. I prefer it the way I have it listed below and so do my kids and most of my family. Enjoy!
- 4 boxes chocolate mousse mix
- 1(8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (or your own cake recipe)
- 6 Heath candy bars, chopped (chocolate toffee bars)
- Prepare cake mix as directed, or make your own chocolate cake recipe.
- Let cool.
- Prepare the mousse.
- Crumble the cooled cake into pieces.
- In a glass trifle bowl (or if you are taking it for a potluck, or somewhere that you’re unsure if you’ll get it back, try a clear plastic trifle bowl) layer in this order: 1/3 of cake, 1/3 of mousse, 1/3 of whipped topping and 1/3 of candy bars.
- Repeat layers ending with chopped candy bars on top.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.