If you are familiar with cannabis, then you may know that ingesting it is usually a lot more intense than smoking it because the body breaks down the THC differently when its eaten then when it’s smoked.
But because CBD oil does not have psychoactive properties the intensity isn’t as much of a concern, however if you use CBD oils to make edibles you can enjoy the great benefits – in a tasty treat! CBD infused edibles are a good choice if you don’t vape, or want to consume the drops alone.
Make CBD Infused Ingredients
A great ingredient you can use when making edibles is infused butter. It can be used pretty versatile for sweet and savory snacks. When you make your own CBD butter, be sure to infuse the CBD oil in the butter slowly and over a low eat. It will infuse with the butter without burning or evaporating the active compounds.
Start with about 15 ml of oil for about 500 grams of butter. Cut up the butter into several pieces and place in saucepan over low heat, gradually add the CBD oil, and about a quart of water. Keep on low heat and cook for 3-4 hours; be sure to stir the butter about every 30 minutes. When it’s done put it in a bowl and let it chill for at least 2 hours before using.
Once you make the butter you can use it in many snacks, or put it on your potatoes at dinner, your popcorn when you snack, add it to biscuits or toast, and of course use it in your favorite sweet treats as well. (Be sure not to bake anything over 350, as super hot temps can evaporate the CBD).
CBD Infused Gummy Bears
This is probably my most favorite CBD edible. 1. You can make a batch that will last for quite awhile and 2. you can grab and go and eat them whenever you need them. This recipe takes about 45 minutes or so – and makes about 50 gummy bears.
- 1 oz CBD oil (I used Medsbiotech 250 mg CBD oil—if you use a tincture with more or less CBD, divide the total milligrams in your tincture by 50 to calculate the approximate dosage of each)
- 3 green tea bags
- 3 tablespoons creamed honey
- ½ cup coconut water
- ¾ cup tart cherry juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons gelatin
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Pour the coconut water into small saucepan. Bring to boil, then steep green tea bags in coconut water for about 10 minutes – then throw out tea bags.
- Add the cherry juice, salt, and creamed honey to saucepan. Stir gently until mixture is thoroughly. Return mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add gelatin powder and whisk constantly for 3–4 minutes.
- Add your desired dosage of CBD oil and whisk thoroughly until fully incorporated.
- Turn off stovetop and place funnel in condiment bottle.
- Transfer gummy bear liquid to condiment bottle. Be careful! This liquid is super hot and you will need to get to work quickly!
- Using oven mitt or hot pad, hold bottle and squeeze liquid into gummy bear mold.
- Transfer mold to refrigerator and let set for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove bears from tray and store in airtight container.
- Enjoy one or two at a time in 30 minute intervals until desired dosage is reached.
Another great -and classic recipe – is of course, infused brownies. These are a little tricky to make, you want to make sure to add enough oil – but not too much! Your best bet is to just use the recipe above for CBD oil butter – and put it in your brownies. Here’s the recipe:
CBD OIL BROWNIES
- 1 stick of your infused butter – and a little to grease the pan
- 1 cup sugar (or stevia for sugar-free)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs (chilled)
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbs flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a brownie pan with your extra infused butter.
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and water to the mixing bowl containing your melted infused butter, and whisk.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating them vigorously with a whisk until the mixture is shiny.
- Add flour and whisk the entire mixture for 60 strokes.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Use your spatula to cut and transfer brownies to a wire rack to cool.
- Optional – Add toppings such as Himalayan Pink Salt (a fine sprinkle on top right before they go in the oven), sprinkles, or icing.